Kerry London News

Changes when driving in the European Union

Friday 15th January
Changes when driving in the European Union

Following the UK’s recent exit from the European Union there are potential changes to your current motor insurance arrangements. You will therefore require a Green Card and to display a GB symbol if you are driving in the EU. This is required even if you have a foreign extension on your policy.

If you have a trailer weighing over 750kg this must also be registered before towing it abroad and will also need its own Green Card.

About Green Cards

A Green Card is a physical document evidencing that you have the necessary insurance cover in force. The physical document is necessary as digital copies are not accepted. If you arrive at the border without the physical Green Card you would not be allowed to drive in that country.

Other changes to travelling in the EU from 1 January 2021

There are a number of other changes you should be aware of when travelling for business or leisure in the EU from 1 January 2021

  • Check your passport is valid in the countries you plan to travel to
  • Get travel insurance that covers your healthcare requirements
  • Organise pet travel & contact your vet at least 1 month before you travel
  • Contact your mobile phone operator to check for any roaming charges

The UK Government has compiled useful information on the .Gov website.

If you have any questions, please contact your usual Kerry London adviser, or email us at

Categories: Uncategorised,